Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Pieces from the Past

Pieces from the
Past
along with moments from the
Present
and glimpses of the
Future
can create a weird concoction
of emotions sometimes.
I'm really not sure what I'm trying to say..
but sometime in life at just the right time
and the right moment and with the right foresight
all those things intersect in a weird way.
Well in the past year
both of my mom's parents have passed away
and that has somehow
brought up a flood of thoughts, memories and emotions
that i didn't even realize i had stored up and stowed away.
i guess they were a lingering piece of my mom that was nice to have around
even tho i didn't see them much.
Anyhow, one day my dad and i went to
help clean out some things from my
Grandfather's barn/storage
and guess what we found...

this HAT.
It was a sunhat that my mom use to wear.
I had saved it, boxed it up, sent it to "Paw's" barn
and stored it
almost 15 years ago.
I guess it was just one of those things that
I liked seeing her wear and decided it was worth keeping.
I'm really surprised it was one of the few things I kept,
being that it is so big and hard to store.
It's actually really, really strange that i did.
but we found it in perfect condition
and
I am certainly glad we did!!

It somehow makes me feel like
the past and the present
have collided.
Ashlyn has enjoyed it
and seeing her little face in it
makes me see
how we are still all connected
even tho we are not together.
So much of who i am is who my mom taught me to be
and her mom taught her to be.
I would have loved to have one of those
"generations" pictures
just to see all of our smiles lined up together.
or who knows we could have all been rolling our eyes at the same time
or my mom would be telling me to sit up straighter
and i would be telling ashlyn to quit wiggling
and my grandmother would be telling all of us to stop fussing.
something like that I'm sure.
it would make a good forever-keepsake however it turned out though.
I don't worry about it all too much. I really don't.
Life is what it is and I just roll with it.
I'm happy to just enjoy the best pieces of it.
No matter if it's a hat or a picture
or a bouncy 3 year old or a flower bed full of weeds.
I'll take it and smile.
I really don't see any other approach to it.



But it's nice to turn back sometimes
and remember where you came from
and who helped pave your path.
My path was paved with little pieces of love that I still benefit from everyday.
Ashlyn's path is so far paved with little pieces of glitter.
I'm not sure yet what will be added to it...
Ahhh, the future!

(thank you to my fabulous Cousin Ann Pasquini for capturing these photos! love you!!)

4 comments:

Devoted Mommy said...

Aw sniff sniff. Such an inspirational little message to all of us mommies out here to EMBRACE life in the moment and keep your chin up. You've got one of the best attitudes of anybody I know and you inspire me to be a better person. Thank you for who you are and I just love love love all the pictures of Ashlyn in your mom's hat. So sweeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Ann said...

Tiff, you are an INCREDIBLE mom. And I agree with the previous post, you have an amazing attitude. I love you so much!

Lady Blachly said...

Ditto to both of the gals before me. I love reading your blog! Those pictures are so special and what great photography. You keep such a special perspective on life...it's amazing how life experiences shape our life and can change our very soul. Love ya!

Janice said...

Such an awesome post! Makes me get all teary-eyed:-) What wonderful women you've had in your past and what a wonderful little woman you'll have in your future. So funny how just a simple hat can really bring things full-circle. How proud they both must be of the woman you are now. One day you will get one of those sweet generations pictures when you are all together again...