Friday, April 18, 2008

What a Year!

One year ago today, I was planning a nursery... painting it pink, picking out bedding and furniture, looking at baby girl clothes, daydreaming about all the pretty names and just completely absorbed into the whole thing. I love to plan and just give me 9 months to think about something and I'm sure to go overboard. It's probably a good thing I had no idea the little baby growing in my belly was about to arrive in just a FEW DAYS! Ashlyn was suppose to arrive June 22nd and arrived on April 23rd instead. I no longer had time to complete the planning I was so totally enjoying, but all of the sudden I was a MOM!
It was the beginning of a journey like no other... "unplanned"! Ha. It's funny how God works in our lives. He already knew exactly how to carry us through this year and each obstacle we were about to encounter... we just had to ASK. ;-) His guidance surely got us to where we are today and it all started One Year Ago. Without it I wouldn't have gone to the Dr. when I did (which would have been today the 18th) and he wouldn't have done the sonogram that he did (most doctors don't) and Ashlyn would not have survived another week in my belly if it weren't for all of that to begin with. Wow, that in and of itself is a miracle. But, that was just the Beginning! Here's what else He helped us through this year: 6 weeks in the NICU, 3 blood transfusions, a gut infection that resulted in 1 week without ANY feedings (try not feeding a newborn for 7 days... BIG TEARS), 6 months of anemia, 10 months of acid reflux, a "preemie" head and delayed motor skills. Guess what we have today?? A helmet. Ha. That's it!!
We made it! When I look at Ashlyn today, I can't help but think of all the hard moments that went into getting to this point. But, it's her smile that calms every bone in my body and tells me God is surely our hero and will continue to provide for us over and over because this is just the beginning of the "unplanned" journey. ...maybe I'll just throw my date book away, I'm such a planner, but I'd rather go with God's plan because it always turns out Perfect! ;-)
Here we are today. I want to thank all of my friends and family that have called and emailed me so many times this year, I couldn't have made it through without your faithful friendships and support! My family and I are so thankful to have you all in our lives and we are certainly proud to be celebrating this time. BIG SMILES. Thank you!

You never know where the road will take you, but there is hope that it will always be a road to a better path. ;-) -by me

1 comment:

Devoted Mommy said...

awwwww....sniff sniff. what a wonderful post. yes it HAS been an amazing year and what a sweet sweet blessing you have in your life. I love you two so much. Can't wait to give that sweet girl a BIG HUG on Wed. And you too. ; )