Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Our Little Reader


Ashlyn loves books.
I'm not sure if it's her age or HER


But she loves to sit and sift through a pile of pretty pictures.
She always has.


She's so gentle with books too, for a toddler.


She's never tried to tear the pages or anything.


We've lost a few flaps here and there
but that's all.


That's what scotch tape was invented for, I'm sure.


It's fun to come around a corner and see her tucked away somewhere flipping through pages...
or in the car seat as we are driving down the road...
or in her stroller as we are cruising through the neighborhood.


It's really humorous sometimes.


My favorite so far, though, was one day this week.
I was standing in the laundry room firing up the washing machine and she brought me "We're Going on a Bear Hunt" and I asked her, in the middle of switching laundry, if she wanted me to read that to her. She said "Yes" and plopped on the floor right next to the dryer. I said, "Well, okay" and sat down next to her.


We read over all the loudness of the machines and everything.
She really loves the part where the family goes into the cave and comes face to face w/ the BEAR.
I whisper the words on the page and then go "GRRRRROWL" real loud.
She laughs.
and then at the end of the book
she goes "more-more-more" until I agree to do it again. lol. ;-)



Here's a few other places I've found her reading lately:



Technically, if you have a tiny-hiney, this spot seems to work okay.


i wouldn't know.




Oh yes, she even reads here






This was around Christmas time. I pulled out some of my old Christmas books from when I was a kid, just to decorate with. I didn't think Ashlyn would have any interest in them yet, but she laid on the floor one day and just checked them all out, page by page. ;-)


This is a very familiar scene.
She sits here at least once a day.
and has for the past year at some point during the day.
On this day she is reading one of her "Biscuit" books.
Biscuit is a dog and she has 4 Biscuit books.
Those happen to be her 4 favorite
( I know, I know we are a little dog crazy around here).
Anyhow, Ashlyn got stuck in a cycle for a while where she wanted to read all 4 Biscuit books every single night before bed. So much so that DaddyLove and I were saying them in our sleep, so we had to hide a few for a while to keep ourselves sane. Well, the next night (after our hiding plot) I overheard DaddyLove as he was getting ready to read to Ashlyn and he asked her to pick out a book to read. Well, since Biscuit wasn't there to chose from she picked up her next favorite book these days- "The Potty Book" ( mostly b/c it has stickers in the back and at the end she puts one on her toes... don't know why, but that's what she does). Anyways, I heard DaddyLove laugh and say "Are you sure, you want to read the POTTY book??" (it's all about learning to go to the big girl potty). She said "Yes", so he laughed some more and then of course he did it. hee-hee.
Gotta love how Toddlers LOVE repetition and do not seem to discriminate by topic
snicker

3 comments:

Lady Blachly said...

Oh how I am jealous. Joseph just isn't down with the reading now. I hope he'll calm down enough someday to sit in our laps and read but for now he is bouncing off the walls until the moment we put him in his crib. For during the day...his board books are all he's allowed to get his grubby little page ripping hands on! Ashlyn is so sweet.

Catherine said...

I love this!! I remember how much I loved books growing up and really look forward to the day that Cooper starts to love them too. We try to read a book before bed each night, and he is just getting to the point where he will look at the pages. Not sure what he sees yet, though. So glad that sweet Ashlyn is reading and loving it!

Janice said...

I LOVE it! She is too cute! Abby seems like books a lot, but she's not quite as into it as Ashlyn...she still prefers destroying things to reading, but we'll get there! They can be reading buddies soon...in fact, Ashlyn will probably be an early reader and can read to Abby soon! That'll be awesome:-)